Wednesday, May 13, 2015

McCalls 5621 Review: A DVF Colorblocked Top Knock off!






This is piece number 2 of my 2015 wardrobe. I am slowly but surely working toward building another summer wardrobe. This year, I am all about orange and pink and navy. 
Well, DVF set the tone with her Resort 2015 collection and I was sold! 
Those of you following me on Instagram might have seen my little sketches and all the fabrics I was able to find in my stash to create my summer color palette. 


Then, I got some more fabric during the PR weekend shopping day in the Los Angeles fashion district last month.



So, I started with the DVF knock off wrap dress and since I have some leftover fabric, I was determined to make something out of it. I went for another knock off. This time it was a colorblocked top from the same Resort 2015 DVF collection.
Out of 4 yards of matte jersey fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics, I squeezed out a wrap dress and a top. Isn't this stashbusting at its best?





I used McCalls 5621 view C with sleeves from view B which I extended. Making the entire neck band in the orange fabric would have been an overkill so my challenge was to cut the front neck band in two pieces so that only the front placket will be orange. 





The pattern instructions were okay. I did look online for front placket tutorials and found one that I used in combination with the pattern instructions. Sewing a neckband with a front placket can be tricky. My advice is to make sure you reinforce the corners of the bodice front by stay stitching or even fusing a little square of interfacing before clipping it to prevent distortion. I had to redo that part several times before getting it right. I was using a lightweight knit when the pattern actually calls for stable knits and woven fabrics. The front placket though it is interfaced is wobbly because of the type of fabric I used.


I need to add a snap so that my bra doesn't show when I'm bending. It's not too low but because of the fabric I think it tend to open up a bit when worn.
Lengthwise, the top is a little too short for my taste but since I didn't have enough fabric, I can't really complain!
The hem and sleeve bands were sewn in true DVF style, by folding under the seam allowance and stitch in the ditch between the band and the top.




Now to make some pink or navy shorts to go with it. Onward with the Summer wardrobe plans!

27 comments:

  1. J'adore !! A chaque fois, tu arrives à reproduire super bien les vêtements, franchement, chapeau !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci ma chere! C'est aussi mon defaut parce que je veux que ca ressemble le plus possible a l'original!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love DVF and I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen!! DVF is the best, isn't she?

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous top! These colors are amazing together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I love how vivid they look together!

      Delete
  5. Love your top. Great knock off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your top, the colors are great! Did you make your jeans also? Love the wider lower leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! I wish I did! They're really old and are from Gap. Usually I don't buy pants there but surprisingly, those pants fit me well. I want to copy them since they fit so well!

      Delete
  7. beautiful top! I'm always looking for the perfect tunic pattern and based on the illustrations, I would have passed right by this pattern. Glad there are creative people like you to give me inspiration! I noted your comment on the placket instructions--that has stymied me on more than one pattern. the companies really need to improve there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girlguydogcat! It took me a while before I found the right pattern for this knock-off! I hear you on the lack of good instructions!

      Delete
  8. I wondered if you'd had to cut the bottom band short because of fabric! I'd have done the same thing. I think with shorts or a knee length skirt (I can totally see this brightening up a navy pencil skirt), the shorter length might actually be a better choice, if it were the tunic length the picture shows it might actually be a bit too long to look good with shorts. Love both these pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Schmoomom! I actually had to recut the band after trying the top the first time because it looked better shorter! I definitely see it with shorts or a knee length skirt!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful knockoff of the DVF top. Love the colors. And the different amount of each color in the dress versus the top make them look totally different. Great stash busting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! I am a big of your makes! Love your blog!

      Delete
  10. Another gorgeous make! Love your style and your talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks frivolous at last! Right back at ya!

      Delete
  11. You are amazing! Love looking at your work, a true inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are awesome! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous!!! you have captured this top perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just discovered your blog!!! I love everything that you have made. What talent to be able to create knock offs. Isn't sewing just a wonderful thing to be able to do? I am a sewing junkie, can't live without it. A great stress buster for me.

    ReplyDelete